[DMCForum] Re: STARTING PROBLEM

It sounds like your warm-up circuit is not working.

The control pressure regulator, also known as a warm up regulator,
may have failed. I quote:

"When the engine is cold, the warm-up regulator reduces control
pressure, causing the metering slits in the fuel distributor to open
further. This enrichment process prevents combustion miss during the
warm up phase of engine operation."

Briefly, there is a bi-metal element in there like your thermostat at
home. The plug on the regulator heats it up gradually, and the
control pressure increases about the same time it takes your engine
to warm up and not need the extra fuel.

One other possible cause I can think of:

The idle speed regulator (the cylinder mounted on the driver's rear
of the intake manifold) controls the amount of air for the engine at
idle. There is a sensor in the coolant distro pipe that overrides the
idle speed ECU when the engine is cold, providing extra air along
w/the extra fuel that the warm up regulator is providing. If that
thermistor failed, you would get extra fuel but not enough air to
burn it.

The sensor is cheap, getting at it is a b!#@$. The warm up regulator
is expensive, but easy to access and replace.

You pays you money and you takes you frame of reference. :-)

I'm sure others will chip in on the MPG question. Mine's not running
yet.

Rich

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "rmclemns" <rmclemns@xxxx> wrote:
> Ok guys and gals,  here's one that I don't want to tear into until
> get some of your inputs.
>
> When I first start my DMC, it will run about 2 seconds and then
die,
> unless I feather the gas.  After about 10 seconds of feathering the
> gas, it will jump up to 2000-3000 rpm and as soon as I back off the
> gas, it starts missing on 1 or 2 cylinders and tries to die.  After
> running 2-3 minutes at my "self induced" high rpm, everything is
> normal.  Idle settles down to 750-850 rpm and it runs as it
should.
> It appears to me that the warmer it gets, the better it runs.   Any
> ideas or things I can check before I start taking things apart???
>
> Second, what kind of gas milage do you folks get on your cars??
I've
> heard everything from 14 to 32 mpg and I'd like to have an idea of
> what to realistically look for.
>
> Lastly, I've got a couple of DMC jacks that I'm going to list on
> ebay, but I thought I'd offer them to the forum first.  One is an
> original Type 1 (small foot) and the other is a Type 2 (long
foot).
> If anyone is looking just send me an email.
>
> MIKE #2
> 1630

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1663535/R=0/SIG=11ps6rfef/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=