[DMCForum] Re: fuel system question

I agree 100%.  Walts description is completely accurate, that is
exactly what the accumulator does.

Since I have nothing add...I'll just say that.  :-)

Eric P.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, id <ionicdesign@xxxx> wrote:
> WOW!
> best reason for the accumulator i heard so far, and the smartest
> description. i am inpressed with you walt.
>
> mark
>
> Walter Coe wrote:
>
> >  Not to negate anyone else's explanation, here is mine:
> >
> > The accumulator has 3 connections.  Two of them take threaded
fittings
> > and
> > the other is a hose barb.  The threaded ports are connected
together,
> > i.e.,
> > they go to the same place.  They could have made it just as well
with
> > one
> > port and used an external T-fitting, but the way they did it
requires
> > less
> > parts.
> >
> > The way the accumulator works is very similar to a bladder tank
on a
> > household well system or lawn sprinkler system.  If you
understand
> > these
> > then enough said, if not then forget I mentioned it. :-)
> >
> > I enjoy parables as does God in the bible, so I'll use one here
> > preach
> > Bosch righteousness.  Picture the accumulator as being a balloon
on
> > the side
> > of a T-fitting tapped into the fuel supply line.  As the fuel
line
> > reaches
> > maximum pressure when you start the car from cold, the balloon
> > inflates.  If
> > the fuel pressure fluctuates for any reason, the balloon expands
or
> > contracts to help regulate the pressure.  In the case of a real
> > accumulator,
> > the balloon is a diaphragm with a spring behind it.  If the
diaphragm
> > develops a leak, then it is plumbed back to the fuel tank via
the low
> > pressure return line.  That is what the hose barb on the other
end is
> > for.
> >
> > When the accumulator is working properly, the spring & bladder
> > maintains the
> > fuel pressure in the system.  This is especially important when
the
> > engine
> > is hot and not running.  The place where fuel enters the engine
is hot

> > enough to boil the fuel if it were at atmospheric pressure.  By
> > keeping it
> > under pressure, this stops the fuel from boiling.  Remember
Boyle's
> > Law from
> > high school physics?  If it did boil, there would be fuel vapor
> > bubbles in
> > the engine.  And the fuel injectors are made to take liquid
fuel --
> > not
> > vapor.  This is where the hot start problems come from.
> >
> > Cool eh?
> >
> > Walt

New Yahoo! Mail Plus. More flexibility. More control. More power.
Get POP access, more storage, more filters, and more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Hcb0iA/P.iFAA/46VHAA/HliolB/TM