Re: [DMCForum] A moderated version of the Forum?

Re: [DMCForum] A moderated version of the Forum?

> I thought the point of this forum was not to be moderated, yet now
people
are clamoring for moderation?

Oh no!  Heaven forbid!  :-)

Our intention is to keep the free flow of information going while giving
everyone different options on how they view messages.

Choices 1, 2 & 3 are already provided by Yahoo Groups (direct e-mails,
daily
digest version, or web-based reading)

Choice 4 is the difficult one.  This is going to be a moderated/cleaned-up
digest version.  Each digest is going to be an HTML document that
hyperlinks
by thread/category to the previous digest and also links forward to the
next
digest even before it is written -- all downloaded in e-mails to be
archived
and used off-line or online depending on each member's preferences.  This
way even years from now people will be able to follow a particular topic
or
thread without having to do Google searches, skip a lot of quoted material
or waste time.

Eventually, I want to also organize or grade/rate messages according to
relevance to help readers decide what to read and what to skip, but this
will depend on the success of earlier versions.  For example, Martin's
recent contribution about the electric DeLorean was for me very much worth
reading (thanks Martin :-).  But as demonstrated by the DML moderating
team,
this did not interest them.  Dave Swingle's suggestion for everyone
interested to continue this discussion on one of the many perpetual energy
forums is just not practical for most of us.  And due to personal reasons,
he won't suggest directing anything to the DMCForum either.

Our collective goal here is to provide a discussion forum that works like
live informal club meeting.  Could you imagine how unsuccessful a DeLorean
show would be if everything everyone had to say first had to be whispered
into a moderator's ear and approved?  And what if all topics were limited
the car, the club or the marque?  It wouldn't take long for most people to
move to another room where they could speak freely.  Oh wait, this is
already happening.  For most of us, the price of having to weed through
off-topic discussions is more than made up for by having useful
conversations transpire over a couple of hours that would otherwise, if
approved, would take several days to transpire provided that it didn't
loose
momentum.

To spill the beans:
One of our long term goals in this project is to develop a licensed car
club
website package for any marque to use.  DMCForum (as the prototype) will
provide the basic structure and other clubs can plug in data relevant to
whatever car (or bike, boat, plane, etc) they are promoting.  This is all
being done as a non-profit/ hobby/ entertainment value venture developed
by
professionals, and that is why it is going to work.  And I'm not doing any
of the programming which is why it is going to happen sooner than later.
:-)

Walt

Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aHOo4D/KJoEAA/MVfIAA/HliolB/TM