Re: [DMCForum] vacuum for making D parts

Re: [DMCForum] vacuum for making D parts

> I think what Walt wants to do is use the vac part for the structure so
you
> only have to use a single layer of the expensive carbon cloth.

Andrei is right; I was thinking about using the vac-form plastic as part
of
the finished product.  I was suggesting ways to reinforce it because I
don't
think a piece of that kind of plastic would be strong enough on its own.
also think it would be hard to get carbon fiber or fiberglass to stick to
it
well.

As for the doors, I suggest re-skinning it.  There are too many issues
with
the support beam and how all the mechanicals fit.  It would be too much
work
to reengineer it unless you want the whole window to roll down.  Bob
Brandys
did this, but he used plastic windows because they needed to flex to work
like this.

The vac-form could be useful for making molds, but could molds be made
using
an easier method?  The nice thing about the vac-form is that it could do a
lot of the work.  I'm thinking about using it to make the sub-structure
for
reproduction upholstered door panels.  I'm good at sewing auto upholstery.
I think Andrei already has the forms done to do headliners.  Eventually we
could go in the business of making complete replacement interior kits.

Y'all remember to trim those quotes!
Walt