RE: [DMCForum] vacuum for making D parts

RE: [DMCForum] vacuum for making D parts

Walt said- I was thinking about using the vac-form plastic as part of the
finished product.  I was suggesting ways to reinforce it because I don't
think a piece of that kind of plastic would be strong enough on its own.
also think it would be hard to get carbon fiber or fiberglass to stick to
it
well. The vac-form could be useful for making molds, but could molds be
made
using an easier method?

The plastics I have seen used in the vacu-form process were flimsy and I
wouldn't think it would offer any support and that is why I suggested
using
it as the reverse mold.  This would give you an accurate and reproducible
mold with nearly exact measurements as the original.  Building the mold
from
scratch using the fiberglass process would require much more time and it
is
more difficult to alter.  You could use an original fender and coat it
with
a mold release agent and lay your resin-soaked fiberglass mat over it, let
it cure, pop out the fender and you would have your reverse mold.

Walt said- As for the doors, I suggest re-skinning it.  There are too many
issues with the support beam and how all the mechanicals fit.  It would be
too much work to reengineer it unless you want the whole window to roll
down.  Bob Brandys did this, but he used plastic windows because they
needed
to flex to work like this.

You could, with time permitting, create all the molds necessary to build
an
entire door and then assemble them much like boats are assembled.  All of
these pieces could be fixed around a tubular inner structure.

Walt said- I'm thinking about using it to make the sub-structure for
reproduction upholstered door panels.  I'm good at sewing auto upholstery.
I think Andrei already has the forms done to do headliners.  Eventually we
could go in the business of making complete replacement interior kits.

This sounds like a very good idea.  We should talk more about this and
other
possibilities.  Imagine different interior colors like JZD had intended,
and
having a full set of reproduction body panels that appeared to be
stainless
steel but were actually carbon fiber with a significant reduction in
weight.
Add to that the Northstar engine...well I just heard  my bank account
being
closed.  Where did you learn how to do interior work?

Greg