Re: [DMCForum] vacuum for making D parts

Re: [DMCForum] vacuum for making D parts

Ulysses said - What about someone making the proper
molds to make actual s.s. parts on a small scale
setup.

I heard Steve Wynne say at the SEDOC last Sept that DMC/Texas is working
on
having reproduction left front fenders made.  I understand that dies made
stamp SS need to be harder than normal dies to hold up to regular use.  I
suspect that DMC/Texas is going to use soft dies for a small production
run.
I got the idea a long time ago that fiberglass panels could be copper clad
like printed circuit boards.  This clad could be brushed (textured) and
then
nickel or gold plated.  Nickel would look like stainless steel.
___________
Scott said - I have a Saturn that has plastic door skins and fenders.  I
don't know what
method is used to make these parts, but you could find out.

I think they use injection molds for that.  Those operate under high
pressure and are expensive to make.  There is a company somewhere in
Florida
making reproduction bumper filler panels like what you see on old Cadillac
Fleetwoods rotting out around the rear tail lights.  These are
polypropylene
and injected molded.  I've been thinking about hunting these people down
and
seeing if thy can likewise make fascias out of the new materials.
_____________
Andrei said - I think Walt wanted to try and make
some new facias with air dams or something.  Perhapse he could use his
contacts and get some of the factory drawings....

Part of this was my idea to make SS finish fascias by covering them with
copper clad and then nickel plating.  I would like to make a perfect
wrinkle-free fascia made of modern plastics, but I would also like to make
everything on the planet perfect & wrinkle free.  I have to realize my
limitations.  I was able to get the factory drawings for the front
anti-sway
bar.  It cost me some bucks and some promises not to disclose certain
things.  I'm sure there are factory drawings that show dimensionally how
the
fascias bolt on, but those could be determined just as well by measuring.
Measuring the sway bar was a lot more complicated.  I don't think the
factory drawings would show how to reproduce the shape of the fascias.
CAD
work was kind of exotic back in the late '70s.
_______________
Greg said - Where did you learn how to do interior work?

That is kind of like asking, "How did you learn to repair engines?"  It is
something that you just go and do.  My Dad used to restore antique cars.
helped him on a few projects and then did some of my own.  Any auto
upholstery project is basically a matter of taking what is left of the old
stuff apart, using it as a pattern for the new, and then sewing the new
pieces together.  It takes some patience & practice initially to make sure
the stitching is straight and will look right when done.  Then when you go
to car shows and start looking at how other people did things, you will
figure out techniques to put upholstery on just about anything.

Walt

Will You Find True Love?
Will You Meet the One?
Free Love Reading by phone!