Re: [DMCForum] Re: Ford Focus mechanics? NOT D RELATED

Re: [DMCForum] Re: Ford Focus mechanics? NOT D RELATED

Erik,

I'm a bit familiar with EGR valves (they haven't changed much over the
years).  But take what I say with a grain of salt, or a jar of it, or
feel free to ignore whatever I say. :)

I assume yours is "digital" (they replaced the vacuum-actuated ones in
the 1980s I believe), controlled by a solenoid (or two) instead of a
vacuum pump. Is the solenoid okay? (Check by jumping it to the battery
voltage.) If the solenoid is okay, and it is controlled by the computer,
then it may be more difficult to track down, since the engine uses
temperature, load, throttle position and vehicle speed to determine the
duty cycle of the solenoid. That's a lot of sensors! Ford in particular
has a valve position sensor which I've heard can go bad, so you may
check that. Is it a single-stage or multi-stage EGR? Is the "check
engine" light on? It could be a loose wiring connection, faulty coolant
sensor, or failed driver circuit in the computer.

Just a thought. Good luck. Incidentally, what year is your Focus? 2000?

Regards,
Farrar in New Orleans