Re: [DMCForum] Re: To buy or not to buy VIN 7007 and 10792

Re: [DMCForum] Re: To buy or not to buy VIN 7007 and 10792

> Thanks! I finally got it ;-)

Ryan,
Let me get this straight:  You actually bought the car?

> The Speedo is not working anyway..So I'm wondering If I would have to
replace all Speedo-cables+Lambda-counter or
> just get a one-piece Speedo cable?

Chances are that the angle drive is broken.  You need to take the drivers
side front wheel off to get good access to it.

I recommend restoring the speedo cable to original parts because there are
issues with getting custom cables to work.  In particular, speedometer
cables are chiral -- meaning that they are meant to spin mostly in one
direction.  If you replace it with a cable meant to spin the other way
then
you will have problems with it unwinding & kinking.  Then there are issues
with making it to the exact length since you just can't bundle up any
access
and tie it out of the way.

Also having a Lambda counter in the middle of the cable makes the cables &
angle drive much easier to periodically lubricate.  To get the cable loose
from the angle drive without damage, it is much nicer to first disconnect
it
from the lambda counter and pull the cable out of the sheath.  Otherwise
the
inner cable gets in the way of pulling it loose from the angle drive.  If
you had one big cable with no lambda then you would have to reach up in
the
dash to get it loose from the speedometer (which is no fun.)

Walt