Re: [DMCForum] VIN numbers and cruise control

Re: [DMCForum] VIN numbers and cruise control

i just installed a cruise control on my 89 ranger so i can help you out
a little bit. the aftermarket cruise control systems that do not use the
magnetic pickups use a sensor that is built into the speedometer cable
housing on the transmission. this sensor that comes factory on some cars
like my 89 ranger works like a stock cruise control because it is using
part of the factory cruise that was never installed on my ranger. if you
dont have this sensor you will need to install the magnets on the drive
shaft  because the cruise control needs some type of signal determining
how fast the vehicle is moving so it can apply the correct pull on your
throttle to keep the speed set correctly. put it this way all cruise
controls on new or old cars needs some way of finding out how fast your
vehicle is moving and i cant see how you can do this without magnets on
the drive shaft or using the sensor off the speedometer somewhere and if
i am wrong please get me the name and part number off the cruise control
kit that can do this because i have several friends cars that dont have
cruise control that want cruise control.

mark