[DMCForum] Why I'm an open-minded moron. :)

[DMCForum] Why I'm an open-minded moron. :)

[note: sarcasm follows]

Martin,

"Vox populi" in action on the DMCForum list! I love it! :)

Open-mindedness seems to have a negative connotation here in the U.S., but
I wasn't
aware that its usage had altered in the U.K. as well. I'm sure that within
a few years
"open-minded" will have the same stigma as the word "liberal" which has
somehow
transformed into not only a noun but an insult, and the word "consequence"
which has
also been stripped of any positive meaning. So let's add to "kid" and
"gay" the other
words which have been transmogrified, bastardised, and otherwise violated.
*anticipates
flame on this point* Keep in mind that the people who funded John
DeLorean's business
were very open-minded and, although savvy investors, had enough foresight
and
derring-do to grant the man a chance at his dream. Because it failed,
would you then
declare that the open-minded investors had been stupid to fund DeLorean?
Keep in mind
that DeLorean fled GMC to get away from the closed-minded, "old boy"
school of thought
that kept Detroit running smoothly for as long as it did. Open-mindedness
generally
includes accepting the notion that the status quo may not necessarily be
the perfect
state, and that things must change. DeLorean thought that he could do
better. He did.
He had a mind that was open, quick, well-trained, and creative, not to
mention the
testicular fortitude to say goodbye to General Motors when he knew they
could bury him.

If you think that having an open mind is something to be corrected, have
no worries. As
I age I'm turning into a closed-minded curmudgeon. I already think most
new cars are
ugly and over-complicated, and that all pop music sounds the same. In
sixty years I'm
sure we'll get on like a house afire. Also, keep in mind that you're
ignoring my basic
optimism. *anticipates flame on this point*

Although I may be ignorant of the way the world of money works as I have
little, I know
enough about physics to know that matter and energy can neither be created
or
destroyed. Entropy is a concept with which I'm very familiar (poking fun
at
creationists using the second law of thermodynamics is amusing -- try it
sometime).
Since the Tilley Foundation tells no one of their plans for charging their
batteries,
they could either have something that works and are keeping it under
wraps, or they
have nothing at all and haven't told their investors yet. Generally,
people who are
bilked are not open-minded; they're obscenely wealthy and gullible. No
offense, but I
think people with too much money and too little character or knowledge
deserve
everything they get if they end up stolen blind by a confidence scheme. As
our former
ambassador to France was fond of saying: "A fool and his money are soon
parted." This
probably holds true for me as well, since I'm going to spend around ten to
twelve
thousand dollars for an automobile that most people think I'm a fool to
devote my time,
energy, and cash to.

By the way, I wasn't complaining about the price of petrol here, and I
know what a
litre is -- no need to shout.

That's enough for today. I've done my bit for king and country. Any
further comments on
my lack of intelligence will be duly ignored and stricken from my Inbox.
Since I have
work to do and I don't check e-mail over the weekend, this will be my last
post for a
while, anyway, so Martin, flame on my brother. :)

Regards,
Farrar in New Orleans
--
www.wwno.org