RE: [doc] Smoking DeLorean! (FAO possibly Phill W)

RE: [doc] Smoking DeLorean! (FAO possibly Phill W)

Hi Phil

Yes it was Phill W

There's a plate with some studs and bits in front of the compressor
pulley. You should be able to turn this by hand, on Phills car it turned
a bit then stopped dead - the result of a smashed con rod inside.

The pulley should freewheel, until it's engaged. Remove your AC belt to
try it.

If there was smoke it's very unlikely to be worth repairing - and yes
you will loose your gas. Our local AC guy regasses them for about 50
quid.

Phill got his in the UK from Carcoon, how much Phill??

Rich Hutchinson
DOC 365 VIN 1274

Of
> Phil Peters
> Sent: 17 August 2005 23:29
> To: doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [doc] Smoking DeLorean! (FAO possibly Phill W)
>
> Hi all,
>
> Unfortunately I suffered one of those heart stopping moments tonight
when
> I saw SMOKE billowing out from the engine cover while I was driving
> through town! I pulled over immediately, and a closer inspection
revealed
> that the smoke was coming from the air con compressor rather than the
> engine itself, so panic over. I seem to remember someone's car at
Gaydon
> this year suffering the same problem (possibly Phill Wright's
SOR83T?).

> I could be wrong, but it seems that the compressor has a sort of
clutch
> mechanism to engage it, since the belt constantly drives it. If you
were
> standing at the back of my car looking into the engine bay, you can
see
> that the round part on the compressor which engages seems to get stuck
or
> seize. Does this mean that the bearing has seized? If so, what would
be
> the next step in sorting this out? And furthermore, can I do it
without
> losing all my refridgerant gas??
>
> Any advice at all would be really welcomed! :-)
>

> --
>

> Phil Peters
> VIN #4400 LHJ 58W
> DOC #84
> Wolverhampton, UK

> What is the biggest volcano in the solar system?
>
> postmaster.co.uk
> http://www.postmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/meme/quiz.pl?id=266

> --
15/08/2005