[doc] Original BTTF DeLorean in Cornwall!

[doc] Original BTTF DeLorean in Cornwall!

Hi All,

Have just returned from my jolly hols in Cornwall, where I've made an amazing find, a DeLorean, and not just any DeLorean, the original BTTF DeLorean! on display at a Cornish Goldsmiths of all places (a bit random I know!)

Best of all though, I was lucky enough to get to sit in the dream car! All because I told them I was from the UK DeLorean owners club (flashed them my membership card). I said the club would be very excited about this, and that they will no doubt see a lot of other members down their way very soon. Perhaps even some of you would take your own D's down there? Do we have any club members with cars in the Cornwall area already?

Apparently it has only been there a few months purchased by the owner of the Goldsmiths chain who is a big car collector (they also have an Aston Martin DB7 on display). They claim that this is the original car that was used in the first bttf film, which was then put on display at Universal Studios in Florida ages back (but not the one next to the ride) They said that the car was in a pretty sorry state when the owner bought it, and has undergone a big cleanup op since then.

However there's one or two things with the car that don't quite add up. The car looks identical compared to the movie one but to start with, the tyres are not originals (but the originals could have easily perished), the bonnet is not the original 81 with the grooves. The handle which switches the time circuits on is missing. But the glaringly obvious one is the speedo which only goes up to 85mph (that certainly won't get you back to the future!) I also don't recall there being any switches on the steering wheel in the first film.

Please let me know if any of you can shed some light on this, or you have any information regarding the history of the original movie car, as I'm very keen to find out.

If it really is the real deal then, what a bonus it is having it in our country! Maybe the club could even buy it for the proposed museum Chris?

Anyhoo, I've uploaded some pics in the groups photos section (folder: Goldsmiths BTTF DeLorean) for you all to have a look at and see what you think, Enjoy!

All the best

Carl
DOC361

P.S They also had a number of BTTF and DeLorean memorabilia on sale, but it was ridiculously overpriced for ex they were charging £99 for the Gold Sunstar D (Scandalous!)