[doc] Re: Number plate surround for EUropean sized plates???

[doc] Re: Number plate surround for EUropean sized plates???

--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jamesrguk" <James_rg@xxxx>
wrote:

> Are there any owners on this list from Germany, Sweden,
> France etc... who would like a OEM (sort of) looking number
> plate surround  for the rear of their car?

I know of one Belgian member of the Dutch Club that
allready made what you describe, check out the picture:
<http://www.delorean.nl/images/owners/11497-03.jpg>
He had to do so, because in Belgium the licenseplate
has to be COMPLETELY visible, including the red outline.

> I understand that in many countries
> you can't alter the size of the plate.

In the Netherlands you can apply for a "Model 18.2" plate
for US-imported cars on which "it is not fysically possible"
to attach a standard-sized license plate.

When I bought my car in 2000 it had the standard-sized
plates on as the PO had never applied for the 18.2 plates
and in 2000 a new system was incorporated for swapping
out ALL dutch plates to a newer model UNLESS you had
a specific notice on your "pink slip".
It looked like this:
<http://members.home.nl/delorean/License-BIG.JPG>
Not too bad, but not as I'd like it to be...

One of the first things I did was apply for the notice,
which luckily id DID get. I say luckily as after a transitional
period of 3 years the new plates were in place and
enforcement on the old plates got more strickt.
It also beecame virtually impossible to apply for the 18.2's
as is IS possible to legally mount the standard plates...

Mine is one of the last Dutch DeLoreans to get the notice,
so I can legally run my smaller plates back AND front:
<http://members.home.nl/delorean/StatePlate02.JPG>

I included a small reflective strip above the plate on which
letters were made to resemble a US-plate and fill up the
gap that's left; a Dutch plate isn't as tall as the bezel is...

> I am looking at having another pattern made with 3 raised
> pads either side of the plate aperture (OEM has 6) and the
> aperture narrowed from top to bottom so that it will look
> 'right' but fit a standard German/French plate.

In Germany you can "pick" a number that will fit inside the
bezel, at least that's what I understood from a conversation
with German Elvis Nocita, I think he's on here too...
As you can see from the second picture, a standard plate
is WAY larger than you could ever make by leaving out the
pads, so I don't think it will ever fit; even the Belgians are
about to switch over to "euro" sized plates instead of
what they have now...

Hope this sheds some light,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...
Living the Dream...   Driving a DeLorean...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000