Re: [doc] Vin5789 - Help, I Need Advice On New Steering Rack, Etc

Re: [doc] Vin5789 - Help, I Need Advice On New Steering Rack, Etc

Hi Simon

--- advance apologies to those who might not like an "advert" from me!

> Steering Rack is very worn and needs replacing (gulp !!).

I promise you it won't. We offer a rack rebuild service

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DMUK/newparts1.html#rack

> Fog Light Mods & Front Side Light Mods.

Again something we do

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DMUK/upgrades.html

> Horn need replacing.

The original horns are quite inexpensive from the US

> Needs new window wiper blades.

We'll be putting replacements on our website shortly - soopa doopa Bosch
  spoiler blades - cheaper than Halfords. I've personally used these on
my own cars (not just my D) over the years. The Bosch ones are pricey,
but especially on the DeLorean, with its low windscreen and propensity
for the wipers to judder at speed, they're invaluable.

> Some of the other non-MOT essential things to replace :-
>
> Door and Bonnet Struts (My poor back is starting to kill me !)

Door struts are on our website, and we'll be getting bonnet and louver
struts made in the near future.

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DMUK/newparts1.html#struts

> Grey Instrument Binnacle (The Tennessee sun has destroyed it)

This you may have trouble with!

> UK alternative Paint code/product for re-doing the fascia (sun baked).

There isn't one. However, we've had outstanding results from a
professional here in Stevenage who we're taking all ours to now. The
cost is  £495 per pair which may seem a little high, but should you
decide to either do them yourself, or get a local place to do them,
you'll find quite soon that they can be really tricky to get a good long
lasting finish.

> Lower Front Springs
> If I'm going to replace the front springs with lower ones I alt to
> change the shocks as well due to leaking oil.

We will be getting some new front springs in soon, and we have a custom
shock setup that we've already ordered in but production has been
delayed (I'm told 4 weeks). These are ride adjustable all round, and
height adjustable at the rear (the spring mounts to the shock on the
rear). This set is £425

> Speedo Cable (Non-functioning at the moment, but not a requirement of
> an MOT can you believe)

Is this a failure of the lower cable or the angle drive? Either way, we
have both in stock.

> Non-Functioning Petrol Gauge

The new sender from DMCH is excellent, and very reasonably priced. It is
very unlikely to be the gauge at fault

> It's the Steering rack that concerns me.  What's the best and
> cheapest way of getting hold of a new one and getting it fitted???

For reference, R+R of a steering rack is 2.0 hours which is £70.50 by
our rates. Actual refurb costs vary but it will definitely come in less
than from the US, especially as you'll have to send out your existing
one in exchange. I would recommend looking at the universal joints at
the same time, which can be swapped out at no additional labour. Are you
sure the rack has gone, and that it's not just the joint(s)? They're a
more common failure. The lower bush failing can also cause a lot wobble
in the steering, but no actual "play".

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DMUK/newparts1.html#uj

Your problems illustrate many of the common issues with DeLoreans (and
by that I mean they're common NOW, after 22+ years - things wear out in
that time!) and why we've put our energies into providing solutions
right here in the UK.

Best Wishes

Martin
DMUK