[doc] Re: Value of VIN 16118, ebay 928 mile? car NEED ADVICE

[doc] Re: Value of VIN 16118, ebay 928 mile? car NEED ADVICE

Hi

Since you are asking for advice, i would give you this, im sorry if
its not what you want to hear, the car you are looking at is not a
cheap one at $26k, its quite a lot of money for a D. Forgetting the
low mileage part of the equation , for $26k you can get a heck of a
lot of a good car thats been well maintained and 'updated', if this
milage is true , ( does it 'look like' its done less than 1000 miles
ie origional tyres, seat covers etc, does the spedo work smoothly and
correctly?, it seems to have a few extras fitted for a car with so
little miles on it, sorry yes im a suspicious person ) you probably
have a lot of origional parts on the car that will wear out and
quickly and need replacing, eaxctly what has been done to maintain it
over the years and been replaced? dont buy a car on low miles alone,
it can have quite the opposite effect on reliabilty, cars like to
be 'used'.

The frame is painted, this did happen on some 83's but i would really
check this out for signs of the dreaded frame rust.Are the control
arms etc in a 1000 mile condition. Where has this car been all of its
life?

Just looking at cars for sale in the US at the mo there seems to be
quite a few cars out there in an A1 condition, that have had things
like Tab's and water pumps, fuel systems etc etc replaced, things you
need to be thinking about prior to the purchase of your car, these
items all add up and if they have not been addressed already will
need to be.

There are a lot of knowledgable people on these DMC lists i would
urge you to take account of all advice before you purchase any car.

Good Luck on your purchase

Kind Regards

Mike

--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Packodenton@xxxx wrote:

> Hello Gentleman:

> Here in Pittsburgh to purchase VIN 16118.

> Had to deal with three sales people so far, and I am pretty close
to a
> purchase price.

> The car is a low mile 1983, with 928 miles on the odometer. There
are a few
> questions I have;

> 1) The undercarriage is undercoated with tar. Some DeLoreans were
prepared
> at the docks in Belfast and the QAC's to hide the rust from the sea
air. Is
> this  a problem especially with the sensitivity of the DMC chassis?

> 2) the center arm rest area/window switch area has been modified to
include
> a toggle switch & warning light, I suspect for the cooling fans.
This part  is
> no longer available?

> 3) frame tow hooks are badly bent  from towing the car.

> 4) the cooling system hoses have a plastic tie wraps holding the
hoses
> together.

> 5) there is a small chuck missing from the lower passenger seat
cover. It  is
> noticeable

> 6) center steering pad has a DMC pin glued onto it.

> 7) the shifter plate for automatic has a thermostat hot glued to it
where
> the 1981 clocks are located.

> 8) The original coil cover for 1983's has been replaced with a
1981  version.

> My offer of $26,000 was considered as the dealer counter offered
to  $28,000.
> He wants more than $32,000 for the car. It does have a  cover,
extra oil, air
> & fuel filters, workshop manual, window stickers  etc.

> What is your advice?

> Sincerely Yours,
> Michael Pack

> NOTE:   THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND NONPUBLIC
INFORMATION.  IT
> IS  INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) OR ENTITY(IES)
NAMED

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk