RE: [DML] Re: 001697 is no more,

Insurance regulations change from state to state, but here is my experience..

On my 1990 Taurus SHO, I hit a deer last year. The air bag deployed, and Ihad damage to the hood, headlight, grille, and a few other small parts in the area. The fenders and windshield were unharmed.

The estimate of repair was in the $2K - $3K range. The insurance company decided to total the car. They offered me $1800 for the car.

Rule #1.. NEVER take the first offer! The insurance adjusters job is to give you as little money as possible, and for every day they negotiate with you they are paying storage fees on your car. This is especially helpful if your making the claim against the other drivers insurance company (in my case, the deer was uninsured). After VERY little negotiation (I demanded they use NADA/Blue Book value and not their TRW report, and pointed out thatthey were responsible for all costs in removing my custom stereo system and installing in my new car) they sent me a check for... well... more than twice their initial offer.

I purchased the "salvage" for $75. They were glad to not have to deal withstorage fees, and towing, and whatnot. Because they never got my title, they did NOT have it classified as "salvage". This is typical if you keep the salvage.

You may get lucky, and they wont charge you too much for the salvage of your DeLorean.. However, I doubt it will be numbers in the $5000 range. Depending on your policy, they will pay you the real value to REPLACE the car. So, if you want to use that money to fix your old one you should have enough (Maybe even make a profit, like I did!). BTW, the front of the frame (crumple zone) can be replaced. See http://www.pjgrady.com/lgspec.asp?id=30

The SHO was repaired for under $1000, and I still drive it today with a clean title.

<SNIP>