Re: [DML] Strange shaky sliding steering...

Re: [DML] Strange shaky sliding steering...

To check your ball joints, lift the front of the car off the ground so that
the wheels are hanging. Then shake the wheels in two directions. Check for
play top-to-bottom (push top in, pull bottom out & then do the opposite). I
don't know what the official tolerance is (or even if there is one) but if
you can make the wheel wobble more than 2 or 3 mm then you obviously have a
problem -- either a bad wheel bearing (which then you would probably hear
grumbling) or bad ball joints (again). I think a reasonable tollerance
(especially on a DeLorean) should be well under 1mm.

As stupid as this may sound, make sure that your mechanic is putting grease
in the new ball joints that he installs and that these parts are the right
ones. I have had this happen to me on a non-D. I go to lube the chassis
and notice that all the fittings on the new steering rack were dry. This
wasn't a DeLorean, so don't go looking for grease zerks on your steering
rack. But the work was done by a professional shop. Since then I have
bought a better car that I can work on by myself. And if I get stuck, I
have plenty of friends to ask. :-) DeLoreans -- a common sense choice for
the DIY'er.

Walt