My Craig Radio Display is OK. Should I leave it alone ???

My Craig Radio Display is OK. Should I leave it alone ???

pete lucas Writes:

Question: What about those of us who are lucky enough to have radios
whose displays are still ok? Do you recommend that we reroute the
flex cable as a preventative measure, or is this likely to do more
harm than good given the do-doubt fragile 20 year old cable?

It's a function of cassette tape usage & luck.
Each time the door opens and closes the ribbon cable bends at a 90 degree
angle.
That's where the hairline fracture occurs.
If you remove the black face of the unit and examine the cable on the door
you can see it yourself.

If you find that you're using the cassette to some degree, you might
consider the modification. The cable may last forever if you loop it over or
don't play casettes.
However, at this point in time the bend may be a bit "locked in".
You'd have to take a look and decide.
It's a job that requires a fair amount of skill.
Plus, even a seemingly small job can become bigger than expected.

FYI
This Machine also suffers from poor high end (treble).
You may be interested to know that there is a SIMPLE treble boost
modification I developed almost 20 years ago. It makes the machine come alive.
If you would like I can add the modification to the Zilla site.

Frank Russo
Zilla
deloreanparts.com