[DML] Results of Daily Driver Cost Poll

20 daily driver owners responded to the poll, a good turnout! Super
Tuesday seems like a great day to announce the results, so here is the
poll data for the cost of repairs & maintenance
for FIVE YEARS of daily driving:

(best when viewed in fixed width font)

$1,000 or less |
c $1,000 - $2,000 | X X X X
o $2,001 - $4,000 | X X
s $4,001 - $6,000 | X
t $6,001 - $8,000 | X X X X X
$8,001 - $10,000 | X X X X X
$10,000 - $12,000 |
over $12,000 | X X X
1 2 3 4 5 6
number of respondents

This is not a scientific survey, but I think it can get a good
discussion going on the list. We can look at the statistics and the
distribution.

With this type of data it is difficult and deceptive to calculate a
mean, but the median statistic is clear. The median of this data lies
in the middle of the $6,001 - $8,000 range. This puts typical annual
expenses in the $1,200 - $1,600 range.

Because the high end of the survey is unbounded (over $12,000), the
actual mean of the data might be significantly higher!

It still looks like anyone who expects to use their DeLorean as a daily
driver had better budget at least $1,600 per year for repairs &
maintenance. Some years it will be less, others it will be more.

The data shows a pretty nice distribution, except for the outliers in
the $1,000 - $2,000 category. If this is a real trend in the data, what
does it mean? This either represents a set of daily drivers that
experience significantly less wear and tear, or some owners perform the
same maintenance at significantly reduced cost. Perhaps they could do a
little of this by seeking alternate part sources, but I think it more
likely that they save on labor by doing all the work themselves.

How does everyone feel about the $1,600/year figure? Do you agree with
it, or is it full of boloney?

Could we have some comments from the participants? What is your secret
to reducing maintenance costs? Do you do all the work yourself? Would
you credit the DOA, a local club, the DML, DMC Joe, the shadetree genius
down the street, your own ingenuity, or some other entity with your cost
cutting abilities? Or have you simply been lucky?

When responding, please DO NOT include this entire message. It is too
long to be repeated dozens of times in the back issues.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 1280, 7 years