[DML] Re: Concour Manual (and more)

> Gus Schlachter wrote:
>
> Not that I mind people competing for the cleanest, most original car, but as
> most of you know, the term "original" is relative. Particularly so for
> Delorean owners. If you replace a fuse, is it original? If you have
> something repaired under warranty or due to recall, is it no longer "as
> shipped from factory"? Original tires from 20 years ago?

"Concours competition" has more to do with elegance and beauty than originality.

The term "concours d'elegance" was created around 1940 to specifically address
the judging of older automobiles primarily for their appearance rather than
originality. For many older cars in the class of the Stutz Bearcat, the
Auburn Boattail Speedster, or a 1897 Rolls Royce, true "originality" would be
virtually impossible. So the judging class of "concours" was developed.

By definition, "Concours: A public contest or competition." "Concours d'elegance:
A public exhibition and competition in which automobiles are judged chiefly on the
basis of elegance and beauty." No mention of originality here. Of course the
judges in any kind of competition are at liberty to apply their own set of rules
and guidelines. For example, I can understand judges awarding an extra point or
so to a DeLorean with "original" tires for now, but can you imagine an 1897
Rolls Royce with original tires??!! In a case such as this the judges will
consider how near to the original "look" it is. Also rules and guidelines can be,
and are revised as time goes on.

I do agree that any major vehicle competition should include a class of "driver"
and/or "unrestored original". The Bloomington Gold Corvette judging has such a
class. This class could easily be included in a "concours" competition but perhaps
not in a true "concours d'elegance" competition. Bloomington Gold is probably one
of the toughest automobile competitions in the world. Again, judges can do anything
they want as long as they are all on the same page. And they should and do consider
input from contestants for additions or modifications to the judging rules and
guidelines.

Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982)(with original tires from 20 years ago!)
Midlothian, VA
USA