Re: [DMCForum] Digest Number 655

Group,

When you send a car to a repair center, it is You, the consumer who is
responsible for keeping things within budget. I am knowledgeable about the
car that Louie is talking about.  Rob Grady sent a detailed report of
items
that he found deficient.  Not all of them were show stoppers but some
were.
What happens when you have paid several hundreds of dollars to ship your
car
to a repair center is you began to think "While he has the car he might as
well do this or that because it's probably going to have to be done sooner
or later anyway."  Pretty soon the bill has gone sky high.  The problem is
"Where do you draw the line?"  It is ultimately up to the individual to
stop
the process.  I doubt that any of our reputable Delorean Repair Centers
will
do unauthorized repairs unless they might be in the $1.00 to $5.00 range.

In the early eighties, I carried my car to a DeLorean repair center in Ft.
Lauderdale, Fl.  to have electrical updates, the front end lowered, a
steel
clutch line ,160 mph speedo conversion and several other now forgotten
repairs.  They had the car for a week, while I knocked around the area
with
my Girlfriend and her two boys (now my wife of 18 years).  At the end of
the
week, they still didn't have my car ready until I insisted that it be
ready
to go so that I could return to my job by Monday morning.  I think they
finally finished about 6:00 am Sunday morning.  My bill was about
$1400.00,
right much in those days.  I think I had about 5 or 6 thousand miles on my
new DeLorean at the time.  I did fall into the trap somewhat but on most
things, I was able to say not now.  It is a hard decision as to what
things
to do and what things to put off but it is ultimately up to you to make
these decisions.

As far as the car Louie is referring to, the owner does not do too much
work
on his car himself except for normal and routine maintenance.  He, another
past DeLorean owner and I have performed some repairs on the car, such as
water hoses, plugs and plug wires, vacuum hoses, intake o-rings, brake
pads,
auxiliary trunk release, coolant constant bleed overheat system, etc.

The owner conferred with me on several occasions while Rob had his car.
It
was and always be hard to pick and choose what to do and what not to do
particularly when you have paid big bucks to ship your car for service.
This reply is not intended in any way to say that the owner was right or
wrong in his decisions that ended up with a $17,000.00 bill with Rob.  Had
it been my car, I probably would have ended up with an even larger bill.

My point being "Do not blame the repair centers,  take the responsibility
yourself for what gets done to your car."

Bill Lane

Yahoo! Autos. Everything you need to know about buying or selling a car.
FREE Quotes, 360° Tours, Research,
Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kEZsdA/bwnGAA/YiGOAA/HliolB/TM