[DMCForum] Oh Dear -- Foreign Readers STILL don't understand...

[DMCForum] Oh Dear -- Foreign Readers STILL don't understand...

Just received eMail from a foreign fan. Apparently Message #9338
wasn't clear enough. Let me try one more time:

Direct quote from Message #9338:
"Have seen in print (book -- Robert Sikorsky's I believe. Will look it
up at home) that there's something like 5 degrees between optimum
ignition and point at which valves start to clatter. Advancing spark
towards bottom of that window actually LOWERS HP."

Please note -- N-O-W-H-E-R-E in that quote do I state that the 5
degree timing window is between TDC and 5 degrees BTDC. In fact I
rather explicity state that the window is between "optimum ignition
point" and another point of greater advance (which Robert Sikorsky
thinks is 5 more degrees. Ford apparently thinks it is 4 degrees based
on "+/- 2 degrees" printed on engine comparment sticker). That means
(please try to follow me here):

There is an optimum time to fire spark plugs in compression stroke.
This is where ignition should be timed. But the engine will still run
acceptably with ignition advanced SOMEWHAT before that point. Power is
reduced, but less pollution is created. American car companies noticed
this in 1970's and proceded to do just that -- advance specified
ignition time from optimum point towards point at which performance
becomes unacceptable (knocking).

Don't blame me -- I didn't dream this stuff up. If I could have my way
we'd all be driving high compression blocks with no emissions devices,
no onboard electronics, and no problems.

Bill Robertson

  _____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*	To visit your group on the web, go to:

*	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: