[DMCForum] Re: New problems on #3299

Whew! Sounds like mine a year ago.

Ok, fans: This could be a variety of things.

1. Wiring torn up in the fuse compartment? By now, your fan fail
relay should have been removed. (blue relay/socket) There are most
likely some fused jumpers in there for the fans. Make sure. I doubt
you have fanzilla.
2. Faulty fans. (also check the wires AT the fans. Plugged in?)
3. Bad otterstat. Easy fix. Located in the port-side coolant pipe.
Make sure the wires are plugged into it.
4. Air-bubble in cooling system due to your massive coolant leak. See
below; "barfing coolant".

Next, high idle:

Sounds to me like your idle speed regulator is dead or
malfunctioning. Check:

1. Make sure the microswitch on the throttle linkage is:
a) hooked up to it's wires
b) the set-screw is set to engage the switch when the throttle
linkage is at rest.
2. Make sure the idle regulator (cylindrical doo-dad on driver's side
of engine, a little smaller than a soda can) has power. Turn the key
to "run" without starting the car. It should be humming/buzzing.
3. Does your frequency valve buzz? Bypass the RPM relay by jumpering
contacts 30 and 87 on the relay socket.

Next, barfing coolant:

You'd better sit down for this one.

1. (Most likely) Ruined waterpump shaft seals. Once they dry out from
sitting without the shaft turning for years, the next time the shaft
turns, it tears 'em to shreds. The coolant runs out of a weep hole in
the water pump casting that you can't see when the engine is all put
together.

2. (Worst case/not likely) Blown head gaskets. See my article a la'
DMCnews.com

Either of the above require removing the fuel system, and intake. The
water pump is not as scary as it sounds. We'll step you through it.

Whatever you do, DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS. Oh wait...that's
Ghostbusters. DON'T run the engine above 220 degrees for any length
of time or you WILL be replacing the head gaskets. Learn a lesson
from my pain.

That'll hold you for a while.

Rich

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Enid/Jeremiah
<hispanicangeleyes@xxxx> wrote:
> Hey there everyone.
>
>   I have been working alot on #3299 that I bought Nov 11th.
Replaced the governor, vacuum modulator, applied the major tuneup kit
for automatics, flushed the fuel lines, and replaced the control
pressure regulator.  Now I have two new symptoms, everyone - give me
your best ideas.

> 1.  The cooling fans are not coming on.  This is extremely vague as
is; I have not tested to see if they ARE coming on when turning on
the A/C.  I will let everyone know as soon as I can if they are
coming on when flipping on the A/C.  The car dumped ALOT of coolant
with light smoke coming out the very back rear-end. (This is after
the car has been driven for 25+ minutes)

> 2.  The car is idling very high.  When I first got it, it idle'd
around 900-1100 rpm.  Now it's idling around 1500rpm-2400rpm.  It
gets progressively worse; the car doesn't idle anywhere near that
high when first turned on.  It goes from low rpms to high rpms as the
car warms up.

> I've tried to describe the problems to the best of my ability.  If
anyone has any ideas what the problems might be, please let me know.
I just today got the workshop manual, so please excuse me if I sound
completely naive; I haven't even been able to look at the manual yet.

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cp99kab/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egro
upweb/S=1705126215:HM/EXP=1071869720/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com
/Default?mqso=60178356&partid=4116730> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1853619/rand=202540054>

  _____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*	To visit your group on the web, go to:

*	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: