[DMCForum] Re: Aux Air Valve, Emissions, Etc

[DMCForum] Re: Aux Air Valve, Emissions, Etc

Studied PRV in back of my truck. Must be how my R30 was originally
configured. Has an aux air valve where DMC put idle speed motor (same
aux air valve that pops up on eBay from time to time). Different screw
holes however (which is why I had extra bracketing that put my motor
even MORE in the way). Takes off under upper air assembly like DMC,
except is permanently attached barb vs O ring/inserted tube. Engine
sucks through same cold start tube barb. I capped both off with 3/4"
vacuum caps and ran separate plumbing to an old BMW valve attached to
driver's pontoon. My valve takes off from unused barb between
balancing screws and air sensor plate (where your microswitch bracket
attaches I have barbs). Engine intake now through dual barbs in both
intake rails.

BMW valve is solenoid. Will find out at home if Volvo original was
solenoid or temp activated.

I have a driveway full of de-emissioned vehicles. All run BETTER than
they did with that crap on them. Rich A can give recent independent
assessment of my de-emissioned truck. As his current experience
demonstrates, emissions can be MAJOR impediment to progess.

I maintain that de-emissioning a DeLo is as simple as:
-Replacing dual banjo bolt on fuel distributor outlet with single bolt
(just like inlet) for tank return line only
-Capping lower chambers off with an 8x1mm bolt to keep clean
-Removing frequency valve (and hoses) and giving to some other poor soul
-Removing Lambda ECU and giving to some other poor soul (which has
side benefit of more room in driver side vault)
-Replacing O2 sensor with a short thread bolt (to eliminate any
protrusions into exhaust stream)
-Gutting catalytic converter or replacing with a pipe (IF you can
match 4 bolt flange)
-Adjusting CO2 screw for constant upper chamber volume in fuel distributor
-Driving car for hundreds of thousands of miles with following benefits:
--NOTHING screwing with fuel metering except your foot on the pedal
(warm up regulator nothwithstanding)
--Much cooler exhaust
--Much less exhaust back pressure
--No melted rear fascia

Only disadvantage: standing outside State Department in the rain,
getting yelled at by overzealous security guards WHO DON'T EVEN HAVE
GUNS, waiting to give your old emission components to a poor soul who
refuses to give up on what should never have been put on car to begin
with.

But we love you Rich and I'll do it again when I de-emission my second
DeLo.

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> > Of course he could always rip that crap off instead...
>
> Damn I'm glad you aren't a surgeon. :-)  Bill, I can only
> imagine how much harder it would be to get the engine
> running well if he "ripped that crap off".  Even if he
> started with a factory original engine that is running well,
> it would be a challenge to de-emission it AND still have it
> run well afterwards.  Maybe we could get Martin to show his
> procedure for changing to a Volvo metering head.
>
> Of course in the case with your car, you are dealing with an
> earlier version of the engine that was not transplanted
> completely by the previous owner.  I haven't seen a car with
> a manual choke since my Dad's 1930 Model A Ford.
>
> Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12caqcg9h/M=243273.4156324.5364586.1261774/D=egro
upweb/S=1705126215:HM/EXP=1068765332/A=1750744/R=0/*http://servedby.advert
ising.com/click/site=552006/bnum=1068678932133480> Click to learn more...

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=243273.4156324.5364586.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1750744/rand=337669762>