[DMCForum] Re: Good stuff....

Problem is cylinder pressure and low octane fuel. Is no way to
compress 89 like that without spontaneous combustion, especially in a
hot engine. I shot spark sooner to control explosion, but it killed
performance. Note you can actually have multiple explosions within
single stroke -- that's why flame control important.

Situation made worse by fuel enrichment disabled at SEDOC. Drove down
with car tuned for nipple attached correctly (Martin's right on that
one -- 038 series CPR totally different from 066. Even the Swedes
agree). Was told (incorrectly) by someone there who rebuilds these
things the nipple was actually a vent and I would end up sucking raw
fuel into engine, so I unplugged before trip home (capped off vacuum
port). But CO2 screw never adjusted to compensate (vacuum on 038
series affects counter pressure at idle as well as acceleration drop).

Final nail in coffin was vacuum leak at HVAC mode switch.

Needless to say was not a happy trip home. Absolutely melted plugs on
driver's side of engine (vacuum leak from HVAC switch, which taps into
passenger intake rail). Passenger side were hot but survived. THAT'S
when I did compression test (wanted to ensure no valve damage), got
high readings -- equal the whole way 'round, thank you very much --
and realized something dramatically wrong with my block vs published
domestic PRV specs. Started researching Douvrin. Until then had never
even heard of a high compression PRV (have you ever heard another DeLo
owner mention one?). As soon as I realized little silver car in same
league, more or less, as two tone Lincoln was simple fix to tune to
high compression specs. THAT'S why I brought R42's as spare plugs
rather than R44's. Didn't know really how hot HR9's were -- insulator
*IS* longer than R42 and electrode is just a little dot -- but found
out very quickly. Water temp was the giveaway. Decided to pull a
couple in Fayetteville before getting on I-95 and found them white.
Swapped for R42's in a parking lot. Not a bit of trouble since.

Speaking of little silver car and two tone Lincoln: are currently
parked side by side in driveway (ultimately decided to drive truck
today). Front bumpers lined up. Lincoln driver seat back in line with
U pipes. THAT's a car.

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> I was following this civil debate with interest, but now that the
> smartest one among has has entered with the usual insults I've lost
> interest.
>
> We listen to Martin because when he disagrees, or we're just flat out
> wrong and he's right, he doesn't insult us and he isn't
> condescending. He still treats us with respect.
>
> It doesn't matter how smart you are or what you know. If you're a
> dick I'll tune you out and learn it the hard way. If that means
> having the same year of experience over and over again, so be it. I'm
> not inclined to take someone's abuse or give them respect just
> because he has knowledge I want.
>
> My only input into this debate is this: Bill, I must confess I've
> never heard of advancing timing to eliminate knock/ping. Every book
> I've ever read and mechanic I've talked to says knock is possibly
> (not always) a sign of over-advanced ignition.
>
> Does this mean you're wrong? No. You have cars which show that you
> know what you're doing. You just use words differently than we do and
> you look at the concepts differently.
>
> Do I miss the good old days of big blocks, points & condensors, and
> dual 4 bbl Holley carbs? You bet I do. That said, I can't deny that
> the advance in engine technology isn't real or beneficial. We have
> smaller engines putting out more and more horsepower that require a
> tune up every 100,000 miles instead of 30,000 and use less fuel.
>
> As with all debates where the extremes have been presented, the truth
> probably lies somewhere in between.
>
> 'Nuff said.
>
> Rich
>

> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "checksix3" <jetjock11@xxxx> wrote:
> > ...Theres nothing like someone with a few new books to become an
> > expert. It strikes me as odd you bought a few books off Ebay *now*,
> > after owing the car so long. I've had all the Volvo manuals since
> the
> > second week I owned the car but you don't see me quoting them. I
> > would have bid on that auction if I'd not already had all that info
> > and every tech manual Bosch ever put out that applies to the car.
> >
> > Why don't you put that doobie down, sit back at that keyboard and
> try
> > typing some of these terms into Google? Or maybe try Amazon for
> some
> > technical references? You may enlighten yourself.
> >
> > Thats what separates Martin from many people...he's learned *how*
> > learn. He's learned there are people who're more knowledgable than
> > him and uses that to great advantage. Why argue when the "truth is
> > out there"? It's why he steadily gains ground while others have one
> > year of experience ten times. And he's a whole lot better at
> > explaining things...

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.4074964.5287182.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1732161/R=0/SIG=11p5b9ris/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=
30509&media=atkins> click here