Re: [DMCForum] Please Re-read Message #7126

Re: [DMCForum] Please Re-read Message #7126

Last last last word. There's a phrase "when you're in a hole, stop
digging". I get up this morning to discover Bill's well on the way to
creating his very own mineshaft... had to throw him a line. There's
still hope, Bill....

content22207 wrote:

>"Have timed the ever living mess out of my engine. Back to 10, then
>start predetonating. Up to 13 and lose power. Back and forth."

This is the original line I took issue with. If you're getting
pre-ignition at 10 degrees, putting it at 13 will light it up even
sooner, increasing the problem. Why are you trying to argue this point
as it's basic basic basic..... (but I still went off and read up on it
to make sure, took the time to post the link etc). Even if I don't know
what I'm talking about, will you believe Darren? I think Chris Hawes
reads this list (friend of mine over here, has free-flowing, bloody
noisy exhaust, engine tuned by Darren). Was getting problems with
knocking, Darren took the timing back to 11 degrees initially, then
changed Dizzy for Renault one and ended up at 6-7 degrees due to
knocking. Have even got him on video doing this.

>I 100% guarantee that in my 9.5:1 PRV, burning 89 octane fuel,
>retarding spark is NOT going to improve predetonation.

Wierd. Considering in the drive towards unleaded petrol a few years
back, cars had their timing retarded to cope with unleaded because
leaded has a higher octane rating and running unleaded created problems
with knocking.

>Think about it
>fly-off-the-handle boys: if it's already pre-igniting at 10 degress,
>what in the world do you think it's going to do at 8?

Bill, take your right shoe off. Remove sock. Raise foot. Pick up a gun.
Load it. Take careful aim at the centre point between your middle toe
and ankle. Pull trigger.

If it's knocking at 10 degrees, putting it at 8 may well solve the
problem because you're sparking LATER.

Martin

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.4074964.5287182.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1754016/R=0/SIG=11pv1u2ju/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=