[DMCForum] Re: Eliminating pre-ignition -- the last word

[DMCForum] Re: Eliminating pre-ignition -- the last word

Will speak very slowly...

In a high compression engine, low octane mixture will explode on its
own simply from heat & pressure. Even worse, is totally uncontrolled
combustion (engine designers build pistons & heads to spread flame in
particular pattern. Ever seen pistons with channels cast into them
that must point towards front of engine? And no, I'm not talking about
valve reliefs). Only two possibilities: reduce volatility of fuel by
increasing octane (1960's American premium grade was 97 octane), or
shoot spark sooner before mixture has a chance to explode on its own.

This is pretty common knowledge among American racing crowd. Rather
than screwing around with multi valves, turbo chargers, etc, we take
the simple direct route: compress ever living mess out of mixture and
pump full of octane to hold it until spark hits. Go to any American
track -- 12:1 compression is the norm. And station outside the gate
sells 100 plus octane fuel from a special pump.

Again, you and Darren can play with my 11:1 460 FOR A SHORT TIME
(don't want you ruining my valve train). I defy you to run it on 93
octane timed at 10 degrees. No fair cheating with anything else in the
tank.

BTW: running high octane fuel in a low compression engine is counter
productive. Mixture will not burn enough, leaving behind carbon that
ultimately hardens and becomes part of chambers. Undesireable because
carbon glows red hot, totally altering combustion characteristics, and
dieseling long after electricity removed from ignition.

Bill Robertson
#5939 (9.5:1 compression thank you very much)

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxx> wrote:
>
> Content22207 wrote:
>
> >2) Advancing time moves spark closer to bottom of compression stroke
> >-- cuts power (but does give longer & cleaner burn.
> >
> Did you read the link I sent?
>
> Knocking is corrected by running less advance. If knocking is caused by
> the fuel igniting too soon during the compression stroke, why on earth
> would you be able to correct this by lighting it up even sooner?!! This
> is what you're suggesting.
>
> http://www.sdsefi.com/techcomb.htm
>
> Read it.
>
> This is my last word. If you want further conversation on this, you can
> mail Darren, but he'd put Jim to shame in an insult contest....
>
> Martin

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.4074964.5287182.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1754016/R=0/SIG=11pv1u2ju/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=
30529&media=atkins> click here