[DMCForum] runaway idle

>>Hey, I got it fixed thanks to a suggestion from Gary (checksix3).
Somehow the idle speed thermistor got unplugged.<<

Uh gee, how bout that. Thanx for the plug Walt. I remind you that
the thermistor connecter is supposed to have a spring lock to keep it
in place. I'd also remind you to strain relief anything thats hard to
get at, including the wiring in your doors and everything
under your intake manifold. Always think along these lines when you
have something opened up unless you want to do the job twice...cable
ties and lock washers are cheaper than your labor. (well, maybe not
Walt's ;)

The warm idle thermistor has a negative temperature coefficent and a
fairly linear range from about 40k to 400 ohms from -10C to 100C
respectively. As far as the ECU goes, anything less than about 14k
ohms (including a short) is ignored and results in an target idle of
775. Anything above appx 200K ohms (including an open of course) is
ignored and results in a target idle of appx 2200.

The thermistor circuit is always active and is part of the target
idle setpoint generated by the ECU. *Any* funkiness in resistance
caused by bad connections, etc, presented across terminals 9 and 11
of the ECU will result in idle speed changes. This makes for a very
convienent test method in determining proper operation of the idle
speed ECU, in additon to the procedure outlined in the service
manual. If anyone wants a chart showing idle rpms versus resistance
they're welcome to contact me.

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3856299.5103760.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1754451/R=0/SIG=11tkldm5d/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=6
0178323&partid=3856299> click here