[DMCForum] Re: Stud Extraction

Go to Napa or Sears. They have a stud extractor that I used for my
exhaust studs. None of them broke and they were bad.

It looks like a large, thick, silver disk (a little larger than a
silver dollar and about as thick as 7 or 10 of them) with a ratchet
fitting on the edge of the disk. Inside of the main disk, is a
slightly smaller disk that pivots at the ratchet point. This thing
grabs the stud by a broad area, not just one tiny point that will
snap. By grabbing such a large amount of the stud, it spreads the
force over the whole thing.

I used that but 2 of the studs were in a spot that didn't facilitate
ratchet swing room. For those, I used a different type. These are
black steel caps with teeth. You hammer them on to the end of the
stud. They WILL grip and not slip if you hammer them on far enough.
Then you slap the right size wrench on them and the stud comes out.
Not as nice because it does tend to put a lot of pressure on less
area than the other one.

I still have one head to go. I hope these come out as well as the
others.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin@xxxx> wrote:
> I played around a little last night with the studs. So far I had no
luck. I
> tried heating them up and then cooling them off in hopes that the
expansion
> and contraction of the stud would loosen it a little. So far, no
luck. At
> least none of them broke!

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3512152.4794593.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595053/R=0/SIG=1245der9k/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenat
togyo?YH=3512152&yhad=1595053> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3512152.4794593.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1595053/rand=997481305>