Re: [DMCForum] Re: Worst Case Scenario: The DeLorean Edition

Re: [DMCForum] Re: Worst Case Scenario: The DeLorean Edition

Yes every MechE is taught the principles of thermal expansion and
contraction.  And that is why you want to heat the material which the stud
is in and freeze the stud its self.  It will give you slightly more
clearance that if you heat both to the same temp.

If you heat the aluminum to about 500F and the steel to the same temp you
would have about 0.002inches of clearance if all the metal was clean.  Now
if you can cool that steel to 0F that clearance should be closer to
0.004inches.  These numbers are based on ideal conditions and were
calculated quickly so they might be off a bit but it gives a rough idea of
what is going on.

And maybe to give a little credibility to that I am a Mechanical Engineer
and have just started to study for my PE so this stuff is fresh in my
head.

Andrei