Re: [DMCForum] Re: "Chassis lube" question - URGENT!

Re: [DMCForum] Re: "Chassis lube" question - URGENT!

According to the owner's manual, the ball joints should be greased every
7500 miles.

On many makes of cars, these joints aren't made to be greased anyway.  And
many replacement lower ball joints for the DeLorean aren't greasable
(crosses with Volkswagon Beetle).

How much grease?  Anywhere between 3 to 5 pumps on a typical hand pump
grease gun.  I like to watch what the rubber boots are doing while the
grease goes in.  If all is well then you will see the boot inflate
slightly.
If you put too much in then the boot will bulge and may pop.  If the boot
is torn then the grease will come out the side with no inflation.

It would seem that the grease that goes in must go somewhere eventually or
after a few greasings it will overfill and pop.  Well, under normal
driving
the grease finds its way through the top or bottom of the boot and adds to
the usual dirty/greasy goo that you find coating most old suspensions.

It's a good idea to make sure that the grease zerks are wiped clean first.
Otherwise when you hook up your grease gun then some of this grit will be
pumped into the fitting.  It's a good reason to do this type of work
yourself.

My other vehicle is a Suburban, too.  Together with a DeLorean, the two
can
handle just about any transportation issues I need. :-)

Walt

DVD Rentals with No Late Fees - Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/abvVKB/pEZFAA/46VHAA/HliolB/TM