Re: [DMCForum] stainless frame...

I have the stainless frame sitting on blocks next to a regular frame for
side-by-side comparisons until I get ready to swap.  I don't expect to do
the swap for at least a year from now since I'm in the middle of building
house and recently bought _another_ DeLorean that was just too good a deal
to pass up on eBay.

Since I haven't driven a DeLorean yet with a SS frame, I can't comment on
how differently it will handle.  According to Reg Pearce (Bryan's father),
their prototype car handles better and doesn't "curtsy" in corners like
the
stock frame does.

I have heard from Steve Wynne that boxing the front lower control arms
does
a lot to improve the handling of the car.  Since I will be installing the
new SS lower control arms at the same time, this should make a remarkable
improvement on it's own.

I have heard a lot of opinions on the DeLorean frames -- that they are
flimsy, weak, can't support a lot of horse power, etc.  After studying the
SS frame next to a stock frame and also seeing various high HP engine
swaps,
the opinion that I have formed is that the original DeLorean frame can
handle a hell of a lot more horsepower than the transmission ever could.
have never heard of a rust-free frame collapsing or permanently deforming
due to high horsepower (barring accidents :-).  However, I think that much
of the cracking epoxy problems are due to the frame flexing more than the
epoxy can handle.  Since most of the frame is mere sheet metal, it doesn't
take a lot of rust to compromise the structure.

I think many people have the misconception that the DeLorean frame must
twist just like a frame from a front-engine rear-wheel drive car.  But if
you study the Lotus design then you should see that there are practically
no
twisting forces coming from the power plant.  The rear wheels push the car
forward only from the trailing arms.  I think the epoxy cracking movements
come from hard cornering and bumps.  I plan to devise a method for
measuring
frame flex.  I'm not sure how to do it yet.  I'm thinking about hanging
mirrors under the frame with a laser bouncing off to measure slight
changes.
Then move the device to other DeLoreans with different frames and/or
engines
to see exactly what is going on.  I'm open to suggestions on how to do
this.

I've seen a bunch of photos of Don Steger's shop in Garden Grove, CA.  He
presently has a SS frame over there that looks like it's getting a PRV
w/EFI.  Most of that engine is chrome plated.  It looks great!

I haven't check my e-mail in a few days, so I'm way behind.  I'll probably
get further behind before I get caught up....

Walt