[DMCForum] Re: Horn on center pad

Louise,
It looks like you have been spending a lot of time catching up on old
e-mail.  :-)

> Of
> course I've been told I can't, but things change, so I keep hoping.

I have heard of a few instances of people installing different horns on
their DeLoreans.  The main thing to consider is that the DeLorean does not
use a horn relay.  I was initially surprised by this since most car
manufactures know better than to switch so much current through a
light-duty
switch.  But then Lucas is the Prince of Darkness.

A louder horn will probably draw more juice than the original.  So it
would
be a good idea to add a relay in the circuit.  The horn switch powers the
relay (taking very little juice) and the relay powers the new horns.  This
is a similar project to the one that Jan van de Wouw pioneered (sic :-)
with
adding a relay to the headlight switch.

As for replacement horn candidates, Mercedes has a loud distinctive sound
and is popular for people to scarf from junkyards for upgrade projects.
I'm
thinking about using a stainless steel marine horn pair from Overtons.com.
Only thing is that I would like to know the db specs of the original horns
before I go shopping for something else.  Anyone know?  I want something
LOUD.  And for increased visibility maybe we could replace the front
grille
with a scanning LED ala the Knight Rider KITT car. :-)

Walt