From: Christopher Hawes [mailto:chris@xxxx]
Sent: 19 January 2004 17:59
To: doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [doc] Insurance errors

It has puzzled me why when applying for various DeLorean insurance quotes
why the companies all have our car as a DMZ 2.6. If rectified it may have
quite a beneificially improved financial effect on our future premiums as
our cars are currently insurance group 20. My new quote with Peter Taylor
is £307 for 5000 miles and value of £15k. This is £60 less than the company
I usually use in Astley near Dave Howarth.

I found out that the Insurance Standards Council regulate the information
that forms the database that all the insurance companies have. So... I
countacted the ISC and said the following....

------------- please read all the way down to see all
progression ----------------------------------

Dear Barry,

I hope you don't mind me emailing a segment of my V5 document that I feel
will convey the information you need. It took some effort for the DVLA to
correct the spelling for DeLorean but they still incorrectly list it as a
2800cc not 2849cc and also they list it as a 2 door saloon where in reality
it is a 2 door coupe.

The listing at the link you suggested stated this:-

Make DELOREAN
Model DMZ
CC 2600cc
Start Year 1981
End Year 1983
No. of Doors 2
Body Type -
Fuel Type Petrol
Gear Box Manual
Code 14700101
Group 20

The above information matches perfectly with the info quoted back to me when
I speak to insurance companies about a quote.

DeLorean is the make

Model
DMZ I believe came about due to 2 possible reasons. One, some listing
incorrectly listed the car as a DMC2 which then drifted into DMZ, the second
is that John DeLorean's middle name was Zachary. The correct code name is
DMC-12 as the model. It was supposed to cost $12,000 dollars (hence the
code name) but sky rocketed to around $26,000 when it finally came out.

CC
A Citroen 2.6 was looked at when the project was at the concept stage. It
became the Peugeot Renault Volvo V6 (PRV-6) 2849cc Bosch K-Jet fuel injected
SOHC 90 degree V6

Start-End Years
The dates are correct although for pub quiz reference 1983 cars are actually
completed 82's.

No. of Doors
The doors is correct

Body type, it is often described as a coupe.

Gearbox can be a 5-speed manual or a 3 speed automatic

Some background info on the marque can be found below.

The DeLorean DMC-12 was manufactured in Dunmurry Northern Ireland between
1981-1982. John DeLorean left General Motors Company to form the DeLorean
Motor Company in the mid 1970's. John Zachary DeLorean originally went to
Porsche for the engineering development. Porsche wanted to do the project
over 4 years which for JZD was not soon enough. Lotus was also hesitant to
commit to the required 2 year time frame but when offered £4 million soon
agreed. Auto stylist Giorgetto Giugiaro added the crisp Italian lines to the
DeLorean. To summarise, the DeLorean concept was named and envisaged by a
Romanian American, styled by an Italian, engineered by the British, powered
by the French and built in Northern Ireland for the American market!! The
DMC-12 was supposed to cost $12k originally, however by the time it went on
sale in early 1981 the price was closer to $30k and premiums were being paid
too. The DeLorean only weighs 1266kg. The body - glass-reinforced plastic
with high-quality grade-304 brushed stainless steel skin - sets the car
apart from anything else on the road. The paint can't chip or fade, and it's
impervious to rust. Some DeLoreans have been painted various colours by
owners and by dealers who acquired the cars after DMC went into
receivership, but with the exception of two 24-karat-gold-plated DMC-12s,
all of the cars left the Dunmurry factory with gleaming stainless steel
exteriors.

Plenty of sources on the Internet will re-iterate this information. For
official recognition contact Chris Parnham @ www.deloreans.co.uk Club
Secretary

Club Secretary

Chris Parnham

14 Quarndon Heights
Allestree
Derby
DE22 2XN

Tel: 01332 230823

Email: secretary@xxxx

Please could you explain why the insurance group is 20. Although it is a
2.85 V6 it is fast but not Super car fast. 0-60 is only around 8 seconds
yet is compared to Ferrari and Porsche in the groupings. Can this be
reviewed????

Many thanks for taking the time to look into this

Chris Hawes