Re: RE: [doc] I\'ll never torch PSO....[Scanned]

Re: RE: [doc] I\'ll never torch PSO....[Scanned]

Hi Steve

Let's not play things down here - you're head gaskets need doing. This is not a simple matter of taking the heads off, replacing the gaskets and bolting them back down (though this is what many places might do). They need to be checked and faced. As I texted to you today - this alone will cost up to £150 depending on the work. Rich's cost £396 because they needed new valves. Add to that the cost of the parts - £150 for a full gasket set - and you need exhaust manifold gaskets anyway, now's the time to do them!

With the engine stripped down to the heads and exhaust all off, you'd be daft not to change the cap and rotor, maybe the plugs and perhaps injectors. Darren said very firmly that the timing chains should be changed at this point too (£30). The two coolant hoses on the back of the pump should be done and don't you need a new temp guage sender? You want more power? Get rid of the cat - that's $100 from Ed Uding and NO EXTRA WORK during this job, but a royal pain in the you-know-what if doing it as a standalone job.

Apart from maybe the cat bypass, these are "the basics". I would also like to check the fuel tank and items like the pump boot and cover because they're notorious for going bad. Maybe you'll be lucky, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you want me (and Dave) to "sort out your car" then you might be in for a nasty surprise or two.

I have asked for a conisideration for the job but in your case this will mostly pay for my diesel to get down to Kent to do the work. If it helps, all the parts can go through the Diesel Centre and you can pay by card if you like. They are okay about me doing the work on their 4-poster

> Chris, if I had the time, I'd be out there too, but as you can see, it's a Thursday night, and I'm still in the office. Not joking. I'm looking forward to Martin taking care of the basics on PSO, but I think 5K may be a bit too much for my still meagre pocket. In the IT business, at the present time, specially if you are small and want to expand, you have to spend every hour god created to reach your targets. All things being equal I'll be a well to do young man by this time next year, but it needs all my time. PSO is my favourite possession in the world, I couldn't sell her if I tried, but she just doesn't get the time. The stuff I need doing wont cost me more than £500 all in, because I can't afford much more than that. I'll let Martin do what he can, then stop there. When I've got the cash, I'll go all the way and make her a RHD to be very proud of, but that will be a little while at least. For now I'm just going to get the basics sorted, make her happy and drivable, th!
en enjoy her for a summer or too. Time waits for no man, unless you have a time machine. :)