Re: [doc] Re: Accumulator!!!!

An accumulator is a sealed can with a rubber diaphragm in the middle. One side is sealed and compressed with nitrogen and the other side is connected to the fuel supply line. The function is to maintain pressure in the system when the fuel pump isn't running (e engine off). When it goes bad (the gas leaks out), the pressure quickly drops to the point where, when warm, the fuel evapourates in the lines creating bubbles and the inability to start the car without a lot of cranking. If you allow it to cool, the fuel condenses again and the problem goes away.

A quick fix for the hot start problem is to unplug the blue plug off the cold start injector and the grey plug going to the control pressure regulator, and plug the grey plug onto the injector. The car will then start but won't idle. Rev a few times then swap the plugs back (or have someone swap them while you're revving). This fires the cold start injector causing the engine to fire and kicking the fuel pump into life, bringing the pressure back up.

The fuel accumulator also smoothes the pulsing from the fuel pump, so don't rely on the cold start trick alone.

Martin

saalexander2000 wrote:

I'm also having hot starting problems and it's driving me crazy! What is a fuel accumulator? Is this the most likely problem?

Cheers,

Stuart