Re: [doc] Red-glowing cat!

On 05-11-2002 17:39, Stian Birkeland wrote:

[snip]
> having taken the car to the carwash
[snip]
> discovered that the cat was glowing red!
[snip]
> Why did the cat act like this?
> it sputtered when I drove it

You shoudl check your sparkplug wells and the seals
on the cable, also check the cables themselves;
when was the last time they were changed?

I think water got into one or more sparkplug wells,
or the HT leads got wet, causing arcing over the plug
or cable. This causes the cars' sputtering; it's
simply misfiring!

Because of this, unburned fuel is getting into the cat,
which then burns inside the cat because of its' high
operating temperature. This burning makes the cat glow.

This is VERY bad as it COULD have cause a fire or could
have melted something. Your cat is probably dead by now
too; they can't stand getting too hot; the internals
allmost litterally burn up...

You should check your cat, maybe replace it with an open
pipe and check your HT-leads and spark plugs.
If they need replacing, replace the cables, plugs, rotor
and distributor cap all at once while you're busy.

Hope this helps,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000