From: Senatorpack@xxxx [mailto:Senatorpack@xxxx]
Sent: 11 January 2002 03:18
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] A thank you to the fine Senator

DML,
Fuel over the pump is a bad thing!!! The fuel hazards over the pump is
a long story. Historically, DeLorean Motors was criticized by the federal
government's NHTSA crash test of the DMC-12. The DMC-12 performed reasonably
well @35 mph barrier crash test, however the car leaked fuel into the
interior as well as into the environment. ((Interia switch recall))
The government uses a special dye mixed into the fuel systems of cars
during a crash test. ((I gave this NHTSA test analysis to John Truscott of
DeLorean Owners Association in 1995. The two of us discussed the crash
worthiness of the DMC-12 & fuel leaks as well as fuel contamination. John
and
I spoke at great length about this to Chris Parnham at the 1997 Eurofest ))

On VIN 2109 the pump cover & boot along with the main and return fuel
lines were original and deteriorated. The pump was just laying in the tank
opening, and huge amount of dirt, rust, water and other contaminants was
evident inside and out of the tank. The smell of stale gas was overwhelming
upon initial inspection.
The engine timing & overall performance was WAY off as the previous
butchers tried to keep the car running by cutting corners, poor workmanship
and using the WRONG PARTS!
Instead of using the correct parts & maintained the car properly, the
original owner cut corners and added more frustration to the mix for VIN
2109.
The fuel distributor was rusted out, injectors were damaged, sparks
plugs
were fouled as well as the warm up regulator. Fuel filter had water and
looked suspect. ((Someone on the DML checked this car out during the
pre-purchase inspection. I must say that they really dropped the ball and
overlooked the most common maladies on this car!))

However, after some serious work Mike & I were able to get the car
repaired correctly. The ease of it was having the correct expensive parts
from DeLorean vendor(s) and DeLorean advice from Rob Grady, the car is
safely
back on the road.

Your welcome Mike. I'm happy that your car is running well. I appreciate
your sincere comments and welcome to the District Marque Club: DMC, an
owners
& enthusiasts association of historic, classic and exotic automobiles.

Sincerely,
Michael Pack
DMClub, Founder & President

In a