Re: [doc] Door struts, cat pipes and alternators

Re: [doc] Door struts, cat pipes and alternators

Thanks for the feedback Martin.

I know some figures are tweaked depending on engine speed, circuits under load etc. 'Amperage' , 'Juice' , 'Powerfull' are all expressions I hate too. We know the correct term is Current with the SI Unit being Amperes or Amps. Like calling suspension dampers 'shock absorbers'. The shock absorbers are the springs, the dampers dampen the re-coil....oooh makes me irratable ha ha.
I have seen other alternators with smaller pulleys to make them spin quicker too which I think is a bit of a bodge and would ruin the drive belt too.

I don't think my fan speed could blow a feather, another thing to put on the list which I will never get round to...

Cheers,

Nick.

Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Nick

The new alternators are heavy duty 90A units. I will admit that I don't
really understand the ins and outs of alternators, but our guy took one
look at one of Hervey's 130A (I think) units and said ours will take
more load, despite "only" being rated to 90A. I think he meant that
Hervey's are tweaked to put out that kind of amperage (that's what
alternator manufacturers call it - ych!) and are more susceptible to
failure.

We'll put a guarantee on it that it'll take anything you can throw at
it, within reason (eg amplifier, computer, ac and headlights on).

The blower is really easy to get to - it mounts upwards in the pass
footwell. From memory it's 6 8mm hex-heads to drop it out. The centre
vents on speed 4 should feel like a low power hairdryer. As for
longevity - the guy we buy them off has been selling them for years and
never had one come back due to spinning backwards.

Best Wishes

Martin

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk