Re: [doc] Electrical quesition

Fuses should pop to prevent the cable from overheating not the device.
In the electrical wiring there are a lot of feedback diodes which may have prevented problems but without connecting up the right way round and testing everything then I am not sure. Things like lamps shouldn't matter which way round they are connected.

Have a go and see what happens but it may be prudent to keep a fire extinguisher and isolator switch on the battery terminal to quickly disconnect everything as a just in case !

All the best,

Nick.

Thomas Mc Auley <mcauleydmc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Its not my car, its a De Lorean that I'm looking into, and its been like this for some time. Would fuses not prevent the electrical bits from becoming 'fried' ?(I really dont know anything about this). If not would everything electrical be damaged?
Thanks

Nick Tomlinson wrote:
Oooh Thomas....

How long did you have it connected back to front before you realised?
Have you tried refitting it the correct way round and testing everything?
You may be lucky and it will all work otherwise you may be looking at the ECu's, Alternator, Starter and Stereo (maybe more).

Double check by measuring positive voltage at the jump start post wrt earth (can use engine block).

Good luck, let's hope it works out OK for you.

Nick.

Thomas Mc Auley wrote:
Hi guys. If a car battery was wired up incorrectly, would it damage any electric components on the car?
Thanks