[doc] Front Spring and Shock Replacement......

[doc] Front Spring and Shock Replacement......

Hi All

Hope you have all had a good weekend

For those thinking of replacing the standard front shocks with new
lowered ones, this is something that i and a fellow Doc'er carried
out yesterday afternoon. ( just how long ago did i actually buy
those springs :) )

Although we have has experience in removing springs from other cars
this was a first for us both and all in all not an easy job due to
the tight space around the sides of the shock tower and hence when
removing the old springs (in the end with two different sets of
spring compressors) these 'bananna' somewhat on removal.

In short the best way we found to remove the springs was to remove
the long bolt from the top control arm ( very thankfully not as
stuck as yours Rich :) ) and swivel the arm around out of the way ,
also removing the brake caliper helps with space in there.

With the fitting of the new spring same problem again keeping the
compressors out of the way of the tower and also with the longs
threads on the spring compressors clashing with the lower arm.

For good measure NOS shocks were fitted,( but as it turns out my old
ones didnt need replacing after removing and testing them. )

Weather was not a great help, started the job in shorts and t shirt,
a beautiful day, then one big black cloud and garden pea size
hailstones :) So....Out came the trusty DOC BBQ brolly :) ( note to
self: ....must buy new yellow blanket soon .... )

All in all a very good day, well worth the sweating and damp ar@e :)

Any one ever need any advice on doing this drop me a line / call.

Posted a few pics in the Photo section under #2001

So when is the next get together?

Regards

Mike
doc403