Re: [doc] H4 bulbs on the D...

We all have perceptions which is why Science tries and quantifies the things around us.

candela (cd)
The SI base unit for measuring the luminous intensity of light. Candela is the Latin word for "candle." The candela is defined as the luminous intensity, in a given direction, of a source that emits monochromatic radiation of frequency 540 x 1012 hertz and that has a radiant intensity in that direction of 1/683 watt per steradian.
lumen (lm)
The SI derived unit for measuring the luminous flux of light being produced by a light source or received by a surface. The luminous intensity of a light source is measured in candela. One lumen represents the total flux of light emitted, equal to the intensity in candela multiplied by the solid angle in steradians (1/(4·pi) of a sphere) into which the light is emitted. Thus the total flux of a one-candela light, if the light is emitted uniformly in all directions, is 4·pi lumen.

I said it was complicated.

Right.....back to Deloreans, this isn't a boring physics newsgroup.

NickT.

Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My point was that a 90/100W bulb will not be "nearly twice as bright" as
a 55/60W bulb. At the end of the day, there are numerous cars out there
running around on a single pair of H4's. The DeLorean has 2 pairs of 60W
bulbs at high-beam and with quality lenses, kicks out a thoroughly
impressive beam (when properly adjusted). It's certainly easier to drive
my D at night than my Xantia.

Have a read of:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulbs.html

Quote:

"Brightness" is like "Loudness". It's a subjective perception. Is
Metallica " louder " than Bach? Most people would say so. That's why
audiologists use an objective measurement, Sound Pressure Level, rather
than subjective quantities like "volume" and "loudness". And so it is in
the science of light. "Bright" and "Dim" are subjective perceptions.
Intensity, measured in any of several precisely-defined and scientific
ways, is the only real way to gauge or compare output of a light source
or performance of a lamp equipped with a light source.

...he uses Lumens in his comparisons.

Martin

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk