Re: [doc] DeLorean/De Lorean thing

I have a personal friend who is called 'servais coulber' as is his
father. His father also origionated from Romania and when they
arrived in this country the family name was; coulber De servais.
However this at the time was thought to be to posh (double barelld
name) so they changed the name around and dropped the 'De'.'servais'
tells me that the name 'Deservais' is only normally spelt with a gap
in the middle in there home country. But left as one in the uk as it
is easier!

--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Alex Gant <alex@xxxx> wrote:
> Hate, to be a pain but I'm fairly certain that 'de' in French
means
> 'of' and not 'the'. This would make the late great JZD John of
Lorean.

> Oh no I can feel myself turning into the comic-book guy from The
> Simpsons!
>
> -Alex.
>

> On 6 Apr 2005, at 15:42, Troy Knight wrote:
>

> > Yeah Chris, just like in the 17th century (or some time like
that)
> > most of the population of uk were called John or Peter so they
didn't
> > have last names and were named after their jobs or abbilities
like
> > "John the Thatcher" "Peter the Smith" "John the Tall" and so on,
So
> > "Lorean" could mean a job?
> >
> > Just a little bit of history for you.
> >
> > Your Pal
> > Troy

French
> > brings us
> >   to John The Lorean.
> >
> >   Surely there can be no more mileage in this thread :)
> >
> >   Chris Hawes
> >   Lorean #5255 (aircon nearly back together)
> >

> >   --
05/04/2005