Re: [doc] Peterborough Car for sale

Hi Chris/All

My opinion of 5424 is that it would be an excellent "project"..... if you bought it for £8k. Possibly worth as much as £10k if the chassis is fine and the new owner knows what they are doing. It's fair to say that it wouldn't take £4k to make it worth £12k if you know what I mean, but £15k is silly money and Rich posted a short while ago what it actually sold for at it's auction.

The previous owner had cooked the engine and on DeLoreanOne's advice, shipped a new engine over from them to replace it. The engine looks to have sat outside for some time - the sort of state we tend to find 760 engines in - nothing to suggest it won't run fine, but you get that "oh dear" feeling. The previous owner didn't know anything about the car and cared even less. He bought it from a Lotus dealer for £11k as "something different".

The interior is not entirely badly sun damaged - except for the dash and binnacle which are truly awful; and give the interior a horrible appearance. Unfortunately dashes and binnacles are not easy to get right now, although both could be recovered, the grey vinyl is a unique colour and grain.

I know one thing for certain -the contol pressure regulator needs rebuild/replacement which costs around £120-150. Not sure how you could put the injectors in wrong - the order doesn't actually matter, but of course we all try to get them in 1-2-3! Apparently the fuel tank was overhauled with new hoses and boots, which is the first thing any project car needs. The fascias need painting and the front spoiler has daft sidelights mounted in it. The o/s quarter panel has a minor dent in it.

I did not look at the chassis.

Martin
DMUK

Chris Parnham wrote:

Dear list (especially potential purchasers)

I know vin 5424 has been discussed recently, but as another member went to
look at it yesterday, I thought I pass on his views.

Its for sale at 15K. Grey manual.

Supposed to have had a new engine. The "new" engine did not look new and was
leaking 3 small pools of oil. When the seller was asked about this he said
"oh it's from the other car that was parked there"!

The interior is badly sun damaged.

Many bits look to have been removed and not put back properly, including the
centre consul and switch backing, injectors etc. This is just a cursory
glance, goodness knows what would be revealed with a comprehensive
inspection.

I think Martins valuation of 8K is spot on. We have a good club car at 12K
and three more on their way to the UK market place in the next couple of
months,

Taking in on a project car that some one else has mucked about with, is
always hazardous, even when you've bought it cheap, to pay 15K for this
would not be wise.

Do yourself a favour and pass this one buy.

Just my opinion.

Chrispy