Re: [doc] DMUK brakes,/ springs

You are not incorrect but then you are over simplifying matters.. The
best tyres in the world won't help crap brakes. Yes my tyres need
replacing but that just factors in to the whole braking ethos.

New systems employ all sorts of computer gadgets to get them to do the
job required of them. But taken down to basics there are a few things
that can be done to improve them ranging from expensive through to "My
bank manager would cry".

For instance... I run 4 pot calipers on drilled/vented discs on the
Porsche (all stock stuff). It's rated as one of the worlds best
systems and wont fade even after heavy track use. Plus the discs are
HUGE (surface area) and this helps in basic stopping power.

I recently priced up a 6 pot (water cooled) system for the calibra
with 352mm discs. Just for the front came to £1500...
And to put things in perspective a basic Ceramic disk setup for the
911 would be about £12k.. but it would outlast the car!

To get the DeLorean to get to these standards we'd need not just new
disks (vented would be essential) but also new calipers/servos etc and
some sort of intelligent way of feeding all of that to the wheels
rather than simply grabbing on to them for dear life (ABS would be a
nice start.. maybe a late SAAB I read would work)

I'm quite aware of the Skyline's braking power.. a friend has an R33
with 600bhp - I've seen his brakes literally cooking! Had Simon's car
had the later ECU as well the brakes would be even better...

Hmmm... if you plan on dropping some "high horsepower" engine in the
car the standard brakes will not last long. I - first hand - have had
the unpleasant task of slowing a car from high speed with standard
brakes (the car was not) - it's scary as hell.

Like I said - I'm big on brakes.

Dan
Vin#5284 (wonders if retro-fitting Porker brakes would work... hehe)