Re: [doc] Fuse ratings - any recommended changes??

Re: [doc] Fuse ratings - any recommended changes??

Nick Tomlinson wrote:

To All,

I took my car to work yesterday to give it a run prior to Gaydon (drives lovely but needs a twin-turbo !)

Talk to Darren at the weekend and he'll talk you out of it...

and on my way home the electric windows stopped working. I traced this down to a blown fuse and after checking the windings on each motor for a potential short I replaced the fuse and they worked OK. The no. 11 fuse that was blown was rated at 15amps but in the book this is supposed to be 30amps. Is/ has there been any recommended changes to fuse ratings per fuse i.e. to reduce the rating to reduce the risk of wiring damage?

It's to reduce the risk of melting the fuse box probably. Mine was rated at 10 and the stereo comes off the same fuse, so with the new mtoors and the stereo on. Pop-a-diddly!

While I was there I also found my headlamp fuse & part of the lower fusebox nice and melted. I have disconnected the battery for now and will wire in an inline fuse to bypass the fuse socket so I can come to Gaydon. Has anyone else had this problem?

YES - most cars have the high beam fuse melted

Martin