shakey wakey wibbly wobbly wheel ???

Hi all,

I drove my car to work today and experienced somthing rather wierd,
at first all was fine but then suddenly I started getting a feirce
wibration from the steering wheel, even at about 15mph!
It was quite violent and at 30mph it was hard to hold the steering
wheel! needless to say I pulled over to give the wheel nuts the
quick once over and have a look around before causiously setting off
again.

Then suddenly it was gone and back to normal, then about 5 miles
later I slowed for a roundabout then pulled away and had the same
thing, it was so bad I pulled over again to have a wiggle on the
wheels to check they were not loose. I hobbeled on to work at about
5mph where I now have it on the ramp and as far as I can see
everything is fine, no play in the rack, the rack is solid on the
frame etc...

Any ideas?

James RG