Re: [doc] ABS Brakes

On 05-02-2003 21:29, Stian Birkeland wrote:

> Does anyone know if you can retrofit ABS brakes taken
> from other models that use the same PRV-engine?
[snip]
> is it possible to get ABS brakes or is it cost-prohibitive?

The engien has nothing to do with the possibility of ABS,
the depth of your pockets does...

Installing ABS involves (amongst other things)
-New calipers all around.
-Sensors on each wheel to detect their rotational speeds.
-Special hydraulics to control the braking
-New Master Cylinder
-Computer to control everything
-Software on the computer, tuned to the specific characteristics
of the DeLorean. Some of these characteristics are weightbias,
weight transfer when braking and contactpatches of the wheels

This is FAR from all that would be involved,
but you can imagine the cost for having this CUSTOM made...

Even a retrofit of ABS on a car that has ABS on a different
type/model (like my 100NX) is highly a involved undertaking
that I would advise against.

If you really want better brakes look into the set Ed Uding sells
at <http://www.dmc-service.nl>, they're supposed to be excelent.
He also sells softer compound brake pads, for better braking.

Hope this clears this up a bit,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000