Re: [doc] Re: piston broke

Thanks all for your concerns and help. It was indeed a broken piston and a resulting scored liner.

The engine is now in bits and I have to decide whether simply to replace the
one piston and liner and put it all back together or whether to do all the pistons and
liners, valves, guides and seals and other stuff (doing the clutch goes
without saying).  The garage are looking for spares forme but do you know
of a good source?  Alternatively should I consider finding a replacement
engine, perhaps off a Renault 30?

It's quite nice to have the whole thing out.  There are loads of broken
studs, missing bits and worn pulleys which would never have been spotted
otherwise.  The turbo system had to come off as one unit asall the bolts
are rusted or welded solid, and the oil feed pipe was close to death.  That
would have been very messy!  And the chassis is easy to inspect, too.  There
is a little rust which I shall attend to whilst I have the chance, using the
recommended blend of Hammerites. (Is there a Pantone reference for grey?)

My treasured Owners Club duster, having saved the day, is in soak in detergent and slowly turning from black to muddy yellow.  Perhaps I should invest in a new one.  Or perhaps I should save every penny for the expensive engine restoration.

As an aside to the task of putting out the fire, I met someone yesterday who had actually pissed on his engine (a Citroen I believe) to put it out after his oil cap blew off.  (Or maybe I got the story wrong and he blew off after his engine pissed on him.)  I shall definitely invest in a fire extinguisher when I get the car back on the road..

Tony
Southampton