Re: piston broke

Tony,

if this is what the garage has said --

"My garage now says there is no compression in one cylinder"

With the oil cap popping of it would sugest that it could be a
piston or more likly a con rod issue, the big end on one of our vans
at work went last week and had exacatally the same symptoms (without
the flames as it had only just been started when it knackered).

You could possibly have a sticking valve, this can happen, it may be
related to the fact that turbo charged cars run hotter. I assume that
the mechaic you took it to will infact fix it rather than a DIY job.
The only way to tell this is to remove the rocker cover on the bank
with the dodgy cylinder and check that all of the valves are shifting
up and down correctly.
A broken valve spring could cause these symptoms, the only thing is
that this wouldn't explain the oil cap popping off.

Anyway somthing to consider.

James RG